Thursday 26 May 2011

Booking Through Thursday


Do you ever feel like you’re in a reading rut? That you don’t read enough variety? That you need to branch out, spread your literary wings and explore other genres, flavors, styles?

I'd say my whole life tends to get into periodical ruts, which sometimes include reading habits as well. On the whole, though, I think I prefer to look at it more as going through different phases - in life, as well as reading. Sometimes I do get kind of absorbed by a certain genre or subject or author; but then, when I've had enough, I move on, or take a break. There are certain books and authors I keep returning to; but I read other things in between as well.

Over the last month I think my reading has been pretty varied:

The World According To Bertie by Alexander McCall Smith (4th in the 44 Scotland Street series), in English.

A novel by Anna Gavalda (French author) as audio book in Swedish. The English title is Hunting and gathering. "focus on the lives of four people living in an apartment house: a struggling young artist who works as an office cleaner at night, a young aristocrat misfit, a cook, and an elderly grandmother"

A novel by Swedish author P O Enquist, English title Lewi's Journey, (but I read it in Swedish of course), about the life of Lewi Pethrus: founder of, or at least very influential in, the Swedish Pentecostal movement back in the early 20th century.

The Zahir by Paolo Coelho (in Swedish; I have not finished it yet) "about pilgrimage. The book touches on themes of love, loss and obsession."

And parallel to these, I have also been re-listening to the last two books in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling (read by Stephen Fry) (The Half-Blood Prince and The Deathly Hallows)

I don't think this selection suggests exactly being in a reading rut - do you? Hmm. If these books have anything in common I suppose it might be a certain struggle with one's own true identity and goals in life. But then again - isn't that what most books are about?

8 comments:

  1. I love my rut, my whole life is a rut, my husband and i are very routine minded and do everything the same, thank god we are both the same, or one of would go crazy. so the rut bleeds over into my reading. i only read fiction, have never read any thing but that. i read for escape into another world. looks to me like you are NOT in a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're definitely not in a reading rut! I love reading a variety of different genres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are really well rounded in your reading, though most seem to be fiction? Sandra's comment is cracking me up! Rut or no rut, it's good to be alive and see beauty through a camera, and finally be able to visit you and your awesome blogs again, YES!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Variety really helps.

    here's mine:

    http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday_26.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read for my own pleasure/entertainment, so therefore read what I think will be entertaining. Life is to short to read books that bring me no pleasure or entertainment. I guess my guilty pleasure in reading genres would be cozy mysteries with a bit of light romance thrown in.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay Harry Potter. That's a nice selection of books that you have read/are reading.
    Sally.
    http://theelifylop.blogspot.com/2011/05/booking-through-thursday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like reading different things. There are genres and authors that I like more than others, but I try to avoid getting in a rut.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It will come as no surprise that I have not read the Enquist and I have not read any Harry Potter. Hunting and Gathering has merited two posts in my Eagleton Book Notes (I must do something about bringing that up to date one day). I admire Anna Gavalda. Coehlo is also an interesting author and I've read a few of his including The Alchemist. From that which I know of you Monica you are certainly not in a reading rut!

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...