Monday 17 October 2011

Macro Monday: Thistles

CIMG4502

CIMG4503

CIMG4504

From Wikipedia I learn that the thistle is an ancient Celtic symbol of nobility of character as well as of birth, and has been the national emblem of Scotland since the 13th century.

According to a legend, an invading Norse army was attempting to sneak up at night upon a Scottish army's encampment. During this operation one barefoot Norseman had the misfortune to step upon a thistle, causing him to cry out in pain, thus alerting Scots to the presence of the Norse invaders.

Personally I always associate thistles with Eeyore, the gloomy donkey in A.A. Milne’s Winnie the Pooh. Thistles are his favourite food!

8 comments:

  1. I love to photograph thistles. I think they are beautiful noxious weeds! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O.K. your thistle post has better pictures than mine! They are the national flower of Scotland! But I have never heard that legend, very fanciful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful details and colors in these photos.

    Happy MM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this post. However, I am puzzled. Not an unusual state for me, I admit. I was sure that I had done a post on the invasion by the Norse story somewhere in the mists of early blog-time. I can't find it so perhaps I didn't. You've really got me thinking though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. GB, I found the story in the Wiki article on thistles. Can't remember having heard it before (but I may have forgotten). Ouch what a blow to the reputation of hardy Vikings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Monica, the first two are just plain magnificent, truly stunning, the composition is fantastic. i love the first one and it looks almost like a reflection. truly truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked the Norse invader story. They would have had to have been real wimps those Norsemen!

    Eeyore has to be my favourite fictional animal. He is so ME.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fabulous macro shots of the Thistle. It's blooms as so pretty. If you haven't seen my entry I posted Thistle shots as well but from a very different point of view.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...