Tuesday 6 November 2012

Fill in the Blanks Day

This morning when I woke up, I had a surprise email waiting for me – from a relative I did not know about. Our grandmothers were half-sisters, born 34 years apart… which makes him my… what? Second half-cousin or half a second cousin or just a quarter cousin?! Laughing out loud Anyway, although he is only two years younger than my dad [would have been if he’d lived], in the family tree ___Cousin and I are in the same generation and share the same great-grandfather.

AND somehow he had come to stumble upon my blog Greetings from the Past here in this tiny little world of the Internet, and recognized the family presented there, and decided to send me an email to say hello. He also had a few additional bits and pieces of old family gossip for me. Fascinating. In the family tree sketch my dad made (some thirty years ago) this 2nd cousin is just a blank square with a question mark, so I did not even know his name until today.

As November is rather a dull month from photography point of view, I think I’ll take this as double reason to get on with scanning the old postcard collection and put some more posts up on that blog soon.

Not today though, because today is almost over already… (not sure how that happened, but somehow, evidently, there were enough things to fill in the blanks)

 

 

5 comments:

  1. Not that long ago, I received an email from a girl who went to kindergarten with my sister and I when we were 3 and 4 years old - and we had only lived in that village for one year, she still remembered us, and found me because I wrote about the village on my blog!
    Isn't it great, the way our blogs open up such possibilities?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the world is a small place, and the internet has made it even smaller. and now you have more info for your family tree.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a nice surprise to get :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is amazing who and what turns up as a result of this shrinking of our world by the internet and ease of travel.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful surprise...now you can continue to fill in the blanks in you family tree.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...