Wednesday 1 January 2014

And there was Evening, and there was Morning

2014-01-01 New Year's Eve

And there was New Year’s Eve 2013; and then that year was no more; but lo, it was the first day of 2014.

For those of you wondering, the film we ended up watching this last (!) year was The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (from 2012), with among others Maggie Smith, Penelope Wilton and Judi Dench. (It turned out I was the only one who had seen it before.)

The New Year never quite starts with a clean slate (plate)...” And if you’re wondering who said that, it was me, this morning! Just a philosphical observation, mind! – not meant to imply that I was left with all the work. (My friends did the first round of washing up after dinner, as well as brought some of the food and drinks consumed during the evening.)

New Year’s Eve is usually the only night in the year nowadays that I stay up after midnight. Even if I weren’t having guests, it would be impossible for me to go to sleep early anyway, because of all the fireworks going on outside all evening, culminating during the hour around midnight.

Luckily, today, on New Year’s Day, I’m free to be as lazy as I please. I think of it as a sort of in-between place, like the Wood between the Worlds in The Magician’s Nephew by C.S. Lewis: “It’s not the sort of place where things happen. The trees go on growing, that’s all.”

Hope you all had a good start to the new year.

 

17 comments:

  1. hope your kitchen is sparkling clean now, looks like everyone had a great time... nothing better than food, friends and a good movie...i started my new year day off doing a couple of hours of housework that for some reason did not do itself... seems i have been neglecting my friend housework and playing on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kitchen was sparkling clean for about five minutes between I washed up that lot from yesterday, and lunch. :) Now, for some reason, it seems to be full of dirty dishes again, even though I did not even do any proper cooking today but had left-overs from yesterday...

      Delete
  2. I'm glad to see you had a good end to the year. What happened to the other eleven bottles of cider?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As for the maths, Adrian: One friend asked how many bottles to buy, and I said three. She did bring three, but one of the others also brought three. We (five people) drank two. Out of the amount left, two of the friends took home 75%. How many bottles left in my fridge? (The volume percent of alcohol in each 100 cl bottle, by the way, was 0,7%...)

      Delete
  3. I can't think of a better way to end the old year, than with friends, good food and drinks. We had a quiet New Years Eve..just my dearest and me, and I went to bed at 11....but today is a fun filled day with our daughter, grandchildren, and football.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've spent most of my New Years ever since my teens in the company of friends, I think - with just a few exceptions.

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year. I agree with the previous commentators. This is the way the new year needs to be celebrated, with close friends and good food! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mersad, and I wish you a happy new year as well.

      Delete
  5. I traded adult company for that of my smallest grandchild this year and better company I could not have had. Happy New Year, Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good to me, Pauline :) and I wish you more quality time with your grandchildren in the year ahead.

      Delete
  6. Wonderful film: good choice! In my opinion anyway. Did everyone enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they all seemed to enjoy it (and I did too). Actually I think your appreciation of it weighed in when I bought the DVD in the first place (some time last year).

      Delete
  7. Happy New Year to you, Monica! Glad you had a nice evening with good friends, good food and a good movie to watch.
    Yes, the in between feeling is very much there for me, too, but it extends to the whole period from the 26th of December until my first working day of the year, which this year will be the 7th.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Meike. For me New Year's Day was an in-between day in the sense of rest between "holiday events". Going nowhere, meeting noone, doing nothing. (Which I need in order to also enjoy those other days of the season, when a bit more happens!)

      Delete
  8. Happy New Year Dawn Treader, always enjoy reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet, and Happy New Year to you, too!

      Delete
  9. I'm happy that your New Year's Eve went well and that you and your friends enjoyed the evening and the movie.
    Wishing you a wonderful year filled with everything your heart desires.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...