Monday 28 March 2016

Easter Eggs

2016-03-27 Easter

On Easter Sunday I visited a church service in this church. Those who have been following my blog for a while will have seen it before. It’s the oldest church in my town, belonging to the Church of Sweden. Outside on the lawn, the crocuses were also taking part in the Easter resurrection greetings.

I did not take any photos during the service, but I was tempted. The image I would have liked to be able to show you is of the group of laymen vergers assisting the priest in the service, especially at the beginning and end when walking in a procession carrying the cross and the communion chalice etc. Imagine, if you will, at the front of that procession, carrying the cross, a long-haired young man in very tattered blue jeans; then a woman also dressed in jeans and cardigan (not tattered), a somewhat older woman dressed all strictly in black, and a man in dark blue; and last the priest in full finery with embroidered vestment etc.  The mix fascinated me; and I love it – as to me it represents the wide diversity of The Church. (World Wide as well as this particular one.)

I did not start taking part in any kind of church life until my teens, but when I did, it was in the early 1970’s and coincided with the Jesus movement (in turn related to the hippie culture). I guess that’s one reason why that odd diversity still holds a special attraction for me (because there was a lot of that back then as well, and to me it bears witness of love and tolerance across traditional borders). 

2016-03-23 Easter

Just like Christmas, Easter itself is a strange mix of traditions – both religious and secular.

In Sweden, decorated paper eggs of all sizes filled with chocolate and candy are very much part of the Easter traditions. I have a collection of such eggs which I still use as decorations; but nowadays I refrain from filling them up with sweets…

Instead, I bought myself a box of “Eye Candy” this Easter: the complete Downton Abbey series on blu-ray… So that’s what I’ve been up to this long weekend – when not doing other things! Until the very last (sixth) season of Downton I still had my old TV. So it’s a joy to watch it from the beginning again now, in HD.

PS. I did eat some chocolate, too. Just not out of an egg! Winking smile

Through My Lens

Mosaic Monday

15 comments:

  1. I love the way the church is framed in that first shot. Lovely tradition you have. HAPPY EASTER

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The photos in the first collage were taken with my phone and the collage also made with software included there.

      Delete
  2. Loved the church mosaic...and your lovely story. I adore Easter traditions. Happy Easter!

    Donna@GardensEyeView
    and LivingFromHappiness

    ReplyDelete
  3. That would have been an interesting procession to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a pretty church and the little crocuses are a wonderful spring sign! Traditions are important and stay with you for a very long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - and it's an art in itself to manage the balance between tradition and renewal :)

      Delete
  5. Like you, I would not have taken photos during the service. Somehow it does not feel appropriate, does it?
    I ate surprisingly little chocolate this Easter, but enjoyed much cake and other good food :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meike, at least in this case it did not feel right. One does not want to disturb people in their devotions or make them feel uncomfortable. Actually, if I do take photos in church context I think I feel better about using a 'proper' camera than the phone, though!

      Delete
  6. Hi, I love a little chocolate. Not much available on the Easter weekend at our celebrations. Cheesecake with cherry filling and raspberry bavarian. Thanks for sharing your Easter pics. Sylvia D.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! (and a bit out of my league when it comes to cooking/baking, I'm afraid)

      Delete
  7. Unlike you church played a big part in my life from the age of 4. It was not until I was 16 that I became disillusioned and even later when I gave it more thought and eschewed religion. Oddly I'm not aware of anyone who gave or received an Easter Egg although I don't doubt some people I know must have done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Graham, as I think you already know, at this point in my life I'm not active in a particular church, and can't even say in which tradition I feel most at home. (They all keep changing and integrating anyway!) I still feel I belong to the church in the world wide sense, though.

      Delete
  8. I'm now all caught up with your blog again and I'm glad you had a wonderful Easter.

    ReplyDelete

Communication is what makes blogging fun :)
... but all spam or suspected spam will be deleted.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...